What is Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy is a comprehensive intervention involving a range of techniques to manipulate the soft tissues and joints of the body. The purpose of massage therapy is to prevent, develop, maintain, rehabilitate or augment physical function or relieve pain (Massage Therapy Act, 1991). It is a clinically-oriented health option that achieves undeniable results in the relief of an array of discomforts stemming from stress, muscular overuse and many chronic pain syndromes. Our registered massage therapists Velia Sanchez and Natalia Iakab can help you today!
Whether you have back pain, tight muscles or a lot of day to day stress, massage therapy can help you! Massage Therapy is one of the oldest forms of therapy. It involves pressing and kneading different areas of the body to relieve pain, relax, stimulate, and tone the body. Massage works on the soft tissues (the muscles, tendons, fascia and ligaments) to improve muscle tone. Massage stimulates blood circulation and assists the lymphatic system, improving the elimination of toxins and waste throughout the body.
What is a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT)?
A Registered Massage Therapist is an individual who has:
- Completed competency-based education at educational institutions recognized by the Government of Ontario;
- Studied anatomy, physiology, pathology, physical assessment, neurology, treatments, ethics and other subjects;
- Completed a minimum of 150 clinical hours;
- Successfully completed examinations from and have been “registered” by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario(the College) in accordance with the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Massage Therapy Act;
- Maintained their registration by participating in continuing education and a Quality Assurance Program that assists them in the maintenance of high professional standards and quality care of their clients.
Massage Techniques Provided by our Registered Massage Therapists:
- Acute care and injury rehabilitation massage
- Swedish & Hot Stone Massage
- Tui Na & Reflexology
- Foot massage
- Pregnancy massage
- Deep Tissue massage
- Myofascial release
- Trigger Point Therapy
- Hydrotherapy & Joint Play
- Manual lymphatic drainage
- Remedial Exercise
Our Registered Massage Therapist(s) are fully trained to help relieve the following conditions:
- Inflammatory conditions (arthritis & tendonitis)
- Stress relief and associated conditions
- Headaches and migraines
- Muscle conditions (spasms, strains & sprains)
- Sports Injuries
- Back pain
- Repetitive strain injury
- Circulatory and respiratory problems
- Pregnancy and labour discomfort
- Post-injury and post surgical rehabilitation
Source: Registered Massage Therapist Association of Ontario
The regulating body for the profession is the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario and the Ontario Massage Therapists Association represents therapists.